4-H Shooting Sports
In Salt Lake County, we currently have one club that offers the Shooting Sports project:
Str8tShooters 4-H Club
Current disciplines include: Archery, Rifle, and Shotgun
Club Leader: Kristen Bahr (firstname.lastname@example.org)
In order to participate in the shooting sports program, all youth must be current ACTIVE 4-H members and must select "Str8tShooters" as either their primary or secondary club and "Shooting Sports" as a project.
All participating youth must have completed a Hunter Education Course.
March 30 / Lee Kay Center/ Register ut.4honline.com
The cost for this event is $40.00 which will include ammo and lunch.
- While on the firing line, firearms may be handled/touched only with the permission
of the event judge/range operator. Actions of uncased firearms must be open except
when the firearm is on the firing line, ready to fire.
- Firearms are to remain unloaded until a competitor is on the firing line and has received
instructions from the event judge to load/fire. Arrows will remain in a quiver when
they are not being shot from a bow. Firearm muzzles are to be pointed in a safe direction.
The position and direction of firearm muzzles and arrows should be such that accidental
injury to others cannot occur.
- Listen and obey all range commands immediately. Dry firing of firearms is permitted
only on the firing line with the judge’s permission. Eye and hearing protection is
each participant’s responsibility and must be worn. Participants including competitors,
coaches, judges and spectators MUST wear adequate eye and hearing protection while
on the firing line or while near a firearm range.
- When not shooting a firearm, it will be placed in a gun rack, stored in a case, or
locked in an automobile. While standing at the firing position, arrows may be handled/touched
only with the permission of the event judge/range operator. Arrows may be nocked
only when the shooter is on the archery shooting line and has received instructions
from the event judge to nock an arrow/shoot.
- When competitors are carrying/transporting firearms - not actually shooting the firearm
- the firearm is to remain unloaded and the action is to remain open. During the
competition, if firearms and/or ammunition are/is stored in vehicles, the vehicles
are to remain locked. When competitors are carrying/transporting archery equipment
– not actually shooting the bow - the arrows are to remain in a quiver that shields
the arrow points.
- No shooting sports equipment is allowed on the USU campus. Keep all firearms and
ammunition stored separately in locked containers. Contestants must provide their
own equipment and factory-loaded ammunition, including eye and hearing protection.
- It is the responsibility of 4-H Shooting Sports participants to assure that their shooting sports equipment operates properly, and that the equipment is appropriate for use in the State 4-H Competition.
While attending 4-H activities and events, I will:
- Be accompanied by an adult at each activity.
- Obey all rules established by the 4-H program, the local club/program and all local, state and federal laws.
- Conduct myself in a courteous manner and be respectful of the authority of adult volunteers, youth leaders, 4-H staff and others in leadership roles.
- Not use, accept, or carry alcohol, drugs or tobacco, or associate with or remain in the presence of others using the substances.
- Respect all persons, facilities, and vehicles. I will be responsible for any damage caused resulting from my behavior.
- Help others have a pleasant experience by making every attempt to include all participants in activities.
- Use appropriate language and dress appropriately for each event.
- Acknowledge that searches of personal property may take place when there is reasonable suspicion of violations of law or policies.
I have read the 4-H Code of Conduct and agree to live up to these expectations while participating in 4-H programs and events. I am aware that my actions and decisions affect others. I understand that my failure to act with good character could result in consequences, including dismissal from the event or program. I am willing to accept appropriate consequences of my actions.
Member Signature _________________________________ Date ________________________
I have read the 4-H Code of Conduct and I support my child living up to the expectations it outlines. I also agree to live up to the expectations of the Code of Conduct while participating in 4-H programs and events. I will support the individual(s) in charge in maintaining appropriate behavior and in the development of good character. I understand that I am responsible for all costs incurred by early departure should my child be sent home and that I may be asked to forfeit all funds expended upon my and/or my child’s behalf during the event.
Parent /Guardian Signature _________________________ Date_________________________
For practice times, contact club leader.
4-H Range Access and Equipment Fees:
Archery - $7 (The Front Archery)
Rifle – Adult (16+ yo) $5, Youth (under16 yo) - $2 (Lee Kay Center)
Indoor Range (TNT) - $15 (25 yard range), $20 (100 yard range),
Trap - $4 (25 birds per round)
Skeet - $4 (25 birds per round)
Five Stand - $5 (25 birds per round)
We will not provide any ammunition, hearing or eye protection. If you get to a practice without any you will not be allowed to participate.
SALT LAKE COUNTY 4-H SHOOTING SPORTS CONTEST
April 20, 2019 / 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Lee Kay Center, 6000 W. 2100 S. Salt Lake City
Bring your firearms, Archery equipment, ammunition, hearing & eye protection, and 4-H Patch
Register through your member profile at www.4hOnline.com
STATE 4-H SHOOTING SPORTS CONTEST
Senior 4-H Members (Grades 9 – 12)
Registration deadline TBA
Contact Scott Williams at the State 4-H office for more information: 435-752-6263
All youth participating in the 4-H shooting sports activities must have completed a Hunter Education Course. Anyone who needs or would like to retake their hunter safety course will need to complete the online course prior to our Hunter safety field day. You if already have your blue card you, will need to provide proof before attending any event.
This online course is provided by a private vendor and includes narration, illustrations, animations, and videos. It also includes a virtual field day to prepare you for your field day and your time in the field.
Fee: $29.00 paid to HunterCourse.com.
Proof of Completion: Field Day Voucher.
This course is provided by a private vendor which includes narration in both English or Spanish and has interactive animations.
Fee: $28.95 paid to Hunter-ed.com.
Proof of Completion: Field Day Qualifier Certificate
This online course, which is provided by a private vendor, includes narration and interactive animations.
Fee: $13 paid to HunterEdCourse.com.
Proof of Completion: Completion Certificate